Monday, October 13, 2014

Recognizing Anaphylactic Shock In Dogs

(Recognizing Anaphylactic Shock in Dogs, Article is from Animal Wellness, AWM Vol. 13 Issue 2)

One summer afternoon, I decided to take the dogs to the beach at Humarock, along the shore in Marshfield, Massachusetts. My Uncle Jerry owns a house there and Cal, my puggle buddy, and Sophie, my sweet Labrador, absolutely love it. 

We enjoyed a perfect day and had a ball running along the water and swimming. 

We were there for a few hours and eventually the dogs wore themselves out and napped on my uncle’s deck.

As we were getting ready to leave, I noticed a horse fly in the car. I opened the windows, thinking the fly would find its way out. I heard Cal making weird chewing noises, as if he had something in his mouth. When I turned around to see what it was, I saw the horse fly sail out of his mouth and out the window. I thought it rather funny that after all that chewing, the fly got away.

What’s happening?
 
We’d been driving about ten minutes when Cal started acting strangely. He was leaning against the back seat looking lethargic. I was glancing at him in the rear view mirror when he started acting as if he was about to vomit.


I pulled over and he vomited in the car. I opened the door to let him out and he began stumbling around as if disoriented. Then, to my horror, Cal collapsed on the side of the road.

In a panic, I picked Cal up, ran to a house and asked where the nearest veterinarian was. Fortunately, it was only half a mile up the road. The vet took Cal in right away. He noticed the right gland in Cal’s throat area was swollen, his skin was very pale, and his heart rate was slow. 

They immediately treated him for an anaphylactic reaction from being bitten by the horse fly. Within minutes of getting a histamine and steroid shot, Cal was completely fine and back to his old self.

I have been a pet sitter for 16 years and never saw anything like this before. I was completely unaware that something like this could be triggered by a simple bug bite. So I did some research...

Click Here to Read the Entire Article

____


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

 
Copyright Dog Food Store 2013;